Marginal note:Conditions of order
53. (1) An order approving the commencement and carrying on of business by a bank may contain such conditions or limitations that are consistent with this Act and relate to the business of the bank as the Superintendent deems expedient and necessary.
Marginal note:Deemed condition
(2) An order approving the commencement and carrying on of business by a federal credit union is deemed to contain a condition that the federal credit union must, on an ongoing basis, be organized and carry on business on a cooperative basis in accordance with section 12.1.
- 1991, c. 46, s. 53;
- 2010, c. 12, s. 1927.
54. (1) In respect of the order approving the commencement and carrying on of business by a bank, the Superintendent may at any time, by further order,
(a) make the order subject to such conditions or limitations that are consistent with this Act and that relate to the business of the bank as the Superintendent deems expedient and necessary, or
(b) amend or revoke any authorization contained in the order or any condition or limitation to which the order is subject, other than the condition deemed to be in the order by subsection 53(2),
but before making any such further order the Superintendent shall provide the bank with an opportunity to make representations regarding that further order.
(2) to (6) [Repealed, 1996, c. 6, s. 4]
- 1991, c. 46, s. 54;
- 1996, c. 6, s. 4;
- 2010, c. 12, s. 1928.
Marginal note:Limit on assets
54.1 (1) The Minister may, by order, require a bank not to have average total assets in any three month period ending on the last day of a month subsequent to the month specified in the order exceeding the bank’s average total assets in the three month period ending on the last day of the month immediately before the month specified in the order if the Minister is of the opinion that it is in the best interests of the financial system in Canada to do so, after having considered the Superintendent’s opinion on
(a) the nature and extent of the financial services activities carried out by entities affiliated with the bank; and
(b) the impact that the nature and degree of supervision and regulation of those financial services activities have on the supervision and regulation of the bank.
Marginal note:Revocation of order
(2) If the Minister is of the opinion that the circumstances giving rise to the order have ceased to exist or have changed substantially, the Minister may, by further order, revoke the order.
Marginal note:Average total assets
(3) For the purposes of subsection (1), the average total assets of a bank in a three month period shall be computed by adding the total assets of the bank as calculated for the month end of each of the three months in the period and by dividing the sum by three.
Definition of “total assets”
(4) For the purposes of subsections (1) and (3), “total assets”, in respect of a bank, has the meaning given that expression by the regulations.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 57.
- Date modified: