Marginal note:Contents of letters patent
28. (1) There shall be set out in the letters patent incorporating a bank
(a) the name of the bank;
(a.1) in the case of a bank that is to be a federal credit union, a statement that it is a federal credit union;
(b) the province in which the head office of the bank is to be situated; and
(c) the date that the bank came, or is to come, into existence.
Marginal note:Provisions in letters patent
(2) The Minister may set out in the letters patent incorporating a bank any provision not contrary to this Act that the Minister considers advisable in order to take into account the particular circumstances of the proposed bank.
Marginal note:Terms and conditions
(3) The Minister may impose such terms and conditions in respect of the issuance of letters patent incorporating a bank as the Minister considers necessary or appropriate.
- 1991, c. 46, s. 28;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 7;
- 2010, c. 12, s. 1906.
Marginal note:Letters patent of incorporation on application of certain companies
29. (1) If the Minister issues letters patent, under section 22, incorporating a bank on the application of a company to which the Trust and Loan Companies Act or the Insurance Companies Act applies and the paid-in capital of the bank immediately following its incorporation will be not less than five million dollars or any greater amount that the Minister may specify under subsection 46(1), there may, on the request of the company and with the approval of the Minister, be included in the letters patent a provision deeming shares of the bank to be issued, on a share for share basis, to all shareholders of the company in exchange for all the issued and outstanding shares of the company.
Marginal note:Effect of provision
(2) Shares of a bank deemed to be issued pursuant to subsection (1) are subject to the same designation, rights, privileges and restrictions or conditions and, subject to any agreement to the contrary, to the same charges, encumbrances and other restrictions as the shares of the company for which they are exchanged and the shares of the company, on the issuance of the letters patent, become the property of the bank free and clear of any charge, encumbrance or other restriction.
(3) An exchange of shares of a company referred to in subsection (1) pursuant to a provision included in the letters patent incorporating a bank does not deprive a person who was a holder of shares of the company immediately prior to the exchange of any right or privilege with respect to the shares or relieve the person of any liability in respect thereof, but any such right or privilege shall be exercised in accordance with this Act.
Marginal note:Transfer and voting of bank shares
(4) Notwithstanding subsection (3), no share of a bank that is deemed to be issued pursuant to a provision included in the letters patent incorporating a bank may subsequently be transferred or voted contrary to this Act, but any shareholder of a bank who acquired shares of the bank by means of an exchange of shares of a company referred to in subsection (1) pursuant to that provision may, for a period of ten years from the date of issuance of the letters patent, exercise the voting rights attached to the shares without regard to any provisions of this Act, other than subsection (7), that would otherwise prohibit the shareholder from voting the shares.
Marginal note:Shareholder approval
(5) No provision described in subsection (1) may be included in letters patent issued pursuant to section 22 unless the application therefor is accompanied by evidence that the request for such a provision was approved by a vote of at least two thirds of those shareholders of the applicant company entitled to vote thereon, present or represented by proxy and voting at a shareholders’ meeting called to consider the application.
Marginal note:Exchange of share certificates
(6) Where, pursuant to a provision included in the letters patent incorporating a bank, a share exchange is deemed to have taken place, the bank shall, within ninety days after the issuance of the letters patent, make provision for the issue of share certificates representing shares of the bank and for the exchange of those certificates for share certificates representing the shares of the company that were outstanding on the day the letters patent were issued.
Marginal note:Shares of bank may continue to be held
(7) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, where letters patent incorporating a bank include a provision described in subsection (1) and, on the date of issuance of the letters patent, another bank and any entities controlled by that other bank held, in the aggregate, more than ten per cent of any class of shares of the applicant company, that other bank may have a significant interest in any class of shares of the bank deemed to be issued pursuant to subsection (1) in exchange for the shares of the company for a period of two years from the date of issuance of the letters patent.
Marginal note:Extension of period
(8) On application of a bank authorized by subsection (7) to hold, directly or through a subsidiary, shares of another bank, the Minister may, by order, extend the period referred to in subsection (7), but the aggregate of such extensions from time to time granted to a bank and of the period referred to in subsection (7) may not, in any case, exceed ten years.
(9) [Repealed, 2001, c. 9, s. 48]
- 1991, c. 46, ss. 29, 573, c. 47, s. 756;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 48.
- Date modified: