INCORPORATION AND CONTINUANCE
Formalities of Incorporation
Marginal note:Incorporation of bank
22. (1) On the application of one or more persons made in accordance with this Act, the Minister may, subject to this Part, issue letters patent incorporating a bank, other than a federal credit union.
Marginal note:Incorporation of federal credit union
(2) On the application of five or more persons, a majority of whom are natural persons, made in accordance with this Act, the Minister may, subject to this Part, issue letters patent incorporating a federal credit union.
- 1991, c. 46, s. 22;
- 2010, c. 12, s. 1904.
Marginal note:Restrictions on incorporation
23. Letters patent incorporating a bank may not be issued if the application therefor is made by or on behalf of
(a) Her Majesty in right of Canada or in right of a province, an agency of Her Majesty in either of those rights, or an entity controlled by Her Majesty in either of those rights;
(b) the government of a foreign country or any political subdivision thereof;
(c) an agency of the government of a foreign country or any political subdivision thereof; or
(d) an entity that is controlled by the government of a foreign country or any political subdivision thereof, other than an entity that is a foreign bank, a foreign institution or a subsidiary of a foreign bank or foreign institution.
- 1991, c. 46, s. 23;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 45.
Marginal note:Subsidiary of foreign bank
24. If a proposed bank would be a subsidiary of a foreign bank, within the meaning of paragraphs (a) to (f) of the definition “foreign bank” in section 2, and the application for letters patent to incorporate the bank is made by a non-WTO Member foreign bank, letters patent to incorporate the bank may not be issued unless the Minister is satisfied that treatment as favourable for banks to which this Act applies exists or will be provided in the jurisdiction in which the foreign bank principally carries on business, either directly or through a subsidiary.
- 1991, c. 46, s. 24;
- 1999, c. 28, s. 10;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 46.
Marginal note:Application for incorporation
25. (1) An application for letters patent to incorporate a bank setting out the names of the first directors of the bank shall be filed with the Superintendent, together with such other information, material and evidence as the Superintendent may require.
Marginal note:Publishing notice of intent
(2) Before filing an application referred to in subsection (1), the applicant or one of the applicants, as the case may be, shall, at least once a week for a period of four consecutive weeks, publish, in a form satisfactory to the Superintendent, a notice of intention to make the application in the Canada Gazette and in a newspaper in general circulation at or near the place where the head office of the bank is to be situated.
- Date modified: