Agreement on Internal Trade Implementation Act
S.C. 1996, c. 17
Assented to 1996-06-20
An Act to implement the Agreement on Internal Trade
WHEREAS the Government of Canada together with the Governments of Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, the Northwest Territories and the Yukon Territory have entered into an Agreement on Internal Trade;
AND WHEREAS the reduction or elimination of barriers to the free movement of persons, goods, services and investments is essential for the promotion of an open, efficient and stable domestic market to enhance the competitiveness of Canadian business and sustainable development;
NOW, THEREFORE, Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:
Marginal note:Short title
2. In this Act,
« Accord »
“Agreement” means the Agreement on Internal Trade signed in 1994 and published in Part I of the Canada Gazette;
« ministre »
“Minister”, in respect of any provision of this Act, means the member of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada designated as the Minister for the purposes of that provision under section 8.
3. The purpose of this Act is to implement the Agreement.
Marginal note:Binding on Her Majesty
4. This Act is binding on Her Majesty in right of Canada.
Marginal note:Prohibition of private cause of action
5. (1) There is no cause of action and no proceedings of any kind shall be taken, without the consent of the Attorney General of Canada, to enforce or determine any right or obligation that is claimed or arises solely under or by virtue of section 9 or 11, or an order made under section 9.
Marginal note:Where private cause of action under Agreement
(2) Except to the extent provided in Part B of Chapter Seventeen of the Agreement, there is no cause of action and no proceedings of any kind shall be taken, without the consent of the Attorney General of Canada, to enforce or determine any right or obligation that is claimed or arises solely under or by virtue of the Agreement.
Marginal note:For greater certainty
6. For greater certainty, nothing in this Act, by specific mention or omission, limits in any manner the right of Parliament to enact legislation to implement any provision of the Agreement or fulfil any of the obligations of the Government of Canada under the Agreement.
IMPLEMENTATION OF THE AGREEMENT GENERALLY
Approval of Agreement
Marginal note:Agreement approved
7. The Agreement is hereby approved.
Designation of Minister
Marginal note:Order designating Minister
8. The Governor in Council may, by order, designate any member of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada as the Minister for the purposes of any provision of this Act.
- Date modified: