Marginal note:Regulations respecting manner of determining limit of liability
9. (1) The Governor in Council may make regulations for the purposes of section 6 prescribing, in respect of any activity or undertaking engaged in or carried on by any person or persons described in paragraph 6(1)(a), (b) or (c), or in respect of any ship of which any such person is the owner or of all or part of whose cargo any such person is the owner, the manner of determining the limit of liability of any such person or persons pursuant to section 6.
Marginal note:Matters to be taken into account
(2) In the case of the owners of a ship and its cargo, the manner prescribed under subsection (1) shall take into account the size of the ship and the nature and quantity of the cargo carried or to be carried by it.
- R.S., c. 2(1st Supp.), s. 9.
PLANS AND SPECIFICATIONS OF WORKS
Marginal note:Plans and specifications to be provided
10. (1) Where any person proposes to construct, alter or extend any work described in subsection (2), the Governor in Council may require the person to provide the Governor in Council with a copy of such plans and specifications relating to the work as will enable the Governor in Council to determine whether the deposit of waste that will or is likely to occur if the construction, alteration or extension is carried out in accordance therewith would constitute a contravention of subsection 4(1).
Marginal note:Work to which plans and specifications to relate
(2) Subsection (1) applies in respect of any work on the mainland or islands of the Canadian arctic or in the arctic waters that, on completion thereof, will form all or part of an undertaking the operation of which will or is likely to result in the deposit of waste of any type in the arctic waters or in any place under any conditions where that waste or any other waste that results from the deposit of that waste may enter the arctic waters.
Marginal note:Powers of Governor in Council
(3) If, after reviewing any plans and specifications provided to the Governor in Council under subsection (1) and affording to the person who provided those plans and specifications a reasonable opportunity to be heard, the Governor in Council is of the opinion that the deposit of waste that will or is likely to occur if the construction, alteration or extension is carried out in accordance with those plans and specifications would constitute a contravention of subsection 4(1), the Governor in Council may, by order, either
(a) require such modifications in those plans and specifications as the Governor in Council considers to be necessary; or
(b) prohibit the carrying out of the construction, alteration or extension.
- R.S., c. 2(1st Supp.), s. 10.
SHIPPING SAFETY CONTROL ZONES
Marginal note:Prescription of shipping safety control zones
11. (1) Subject to subsection (2), the Governor in Council may, by order, prescribe as a shipping safety control zone any area of the arctic waters that is specified in the order, and may, as the Governor in Council deems necessary, amend any such area.
Marginal note:Publication of proposed orders
(2) A copy of each order that the Governor in Council proposes to make under subsection (1) shall be published in the Canada Gazette and no order may be made under that subsection, based on any such proposal, except after the expiration of sixty days following publication of the proposal in the Canada Gazette.
- R.S., c. 2(1st Supp.), s. 11.
- Date modified: