Marginal note:Compensation for loss of property
66.1 (1) If an offender has been convicted of an offence under this Act, the court may, at the time sentence is imposed and on the application of the person aggrieved, order the offender to pay to that person an amount by way of satisfaction or compensation for loss of or damage to property suffered by that person as a result of the commission of the offence.
(2) If the amount ordered to be paid under subsection (1) is not paid without delay, the aggrieved person may, by filing the order, enter as a judgment, in the superior court of the province in which the trial was held, the amount ordered to be paid, and that judgment is enforceable against the offender in the same manner as if it were a judgment rendered against the offender in that court in civil proceedings.
- 2009, c. 14, s. 18.
Marginal note:Variation of sanctions
67. (1) Subject to subsection (2), if a court has made, in relation to an offender, an order or direction under section 64, 65 or 66, the court may, on application by the offender or the Attorney General of Canada, require the offender to appear before it and, after hearing the offender and the Attorney General, vary the order in one or any combination of the following ways that is applicable and, in the opinion of the court, is rendered desirable by a change in the circumstances of the offender since the order was made:
(a) make changes in the order or the conditions specified in it or extend the time during which the order is to remain in force for any period, not exceeding one year, that the court considers desirable; or
(b) decrease the time during which the order is to remain in force or relieve the offender, either absolutely or partially or for any period that the court considers desirable, of compliance with any condition that is specified in the order.
(2) Before making an order under subsection (1), the court may direct that notice be given to any persons that the court considers to be interested and may hear any of those persons.
Marginal note:Subsequent applications with leave
68. If an application made under section 67 in respect of an offender has been heard by a court, no other application may be made under that section with respect to the offender except with leave of the court.
Marginal note:Application of fines
68.1 (1) All fines received by the Receiver General in respect of the commission of an offence under this Act, other than fines collected under the Contraventions Act, are to be credited to the Environmental Damages Fund, an account in the accounts of Canada, and used for purposes related to protecting, conserving or restoring the environment or for administering that Fund.
Marginal note:Recommendations of court
(2) The court imposing the fine may recommend to the Minister that all or a portion of the fine credited to the Environmental Damages Fund be paid to a person or an organization specified by the court for a purpose referred to in subsection (1).
- 2009, c. 14, s. 19.
- Date modified: