Marginal note:Unlawful use of names
65. No person shall, without lawful authority, use the name of the Corporation or the name of any association or any name so clearly resembling the name of the Corporation or the name of an association in a manner that is likely to deceive the public.
Marginal note:Offence and punishment
66. (1) Any person who contravenes any provision of this Act or the regulations
(a) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable to a fine not exceeding twenty-five thousand dollars; or
(b) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to a fine not exceeding fifty thousand dollars.
Marginal note:Value to be considered
(2) In determining the fine in relation to an offence under any of sections 63 to 65, the judge making the determination shall take into account the value, or purported value, of the animal, semen or embryo to which the offence relates.
Marginal note:Time for complaint
67. The provisions of the Criminal Code prescribing a time limit for making a complaint or laying an information in respect of offences punishable on summary conviction do not apply to proceedings in respect of an offence under this Act.
68. (1) The provisions of this Act apply to every association to which the Livestock Pedigree Act applied immediately before the coming into force of this Act.
Marginal note:Deemed articles of association
(2) The application filed with the Department of Agriculture of every association referred to in subsection (1) is deemed to constitute the association’s articles of incorporation for the purposes of this Act.
Marginal note:Deemed authority
69. Subject to sections 70 to 73, every association referred to in section 68 is deemed to be authorized to register or identify animals of the distinct breeds referred to in its articles of incorporation.
Marginal note:Examination of existing associations
70. Forthwith after the coming into force of this Act the Minister shall examine the articles of incorporation of every association referred to in section 68 in order to determine whether each such association may properly continue in existence by reason of sections 3 to 5.
Marginal note:Situation of animal not covered by Act
71. (1) Where, in the course of the examination referred to in section 70, the Minister determines that the animals referred to in an association’s articles of incorporation are not of a distinct breed or of an evolving breed, the Minister shall, by order, direct the association to cease issuing certificates of registration in respect of those animals.
Marginal note:Order of dissolution
(2) Where the articles of incorporation of an association that is the subject of an order under subsection (1) refer only to the animals referred to in the order, the Minister shall, by order, direct the association to be dissolved in accordance with regulations made pursuant to paragraph 57(b).
- Date modified: