140. The Governor in Council may make regulations
(a) prescribing anything that is to be prescribed under subsection 20(3) or 41(2) or section 116; and
(b) prescribing the insurance coverage required to be maintained by the First Nations Tax Commission, First Nations Financial Management Board, First Nations Finance Authority and First Nations Statistical Institute in respect of liabilities referred to in subsection 133(1).
141. For the purpose of enabling an aboriginal group that is not a band as defined in subsection 2(1) of the Indian Act but is a party to a treaty, land claims agreement or self-government agreement with Canada to benefit from the provisions of this Act or obtain the services of any body established under this Act, the Governor in Council may make any regulations that the Governor in Council considers necessary, including regulations
(a) adapting any provision of this Act or of any regulation made under this Act; and
(b) restricting the application of any provision of this Act or of any regulation made under this Act.
142. The Governor in Council may make regulations
(a) prescribing anything that is to be prescribed for the purposes of paragraph 74(b); and
(b) adapting or restricting any provision of this Act or of any regulation made under this Act for the purposes of paragraph 74(b).
TRANSITIONAL PROVISIONS, CONSEQUENTIAL AMENDMENTS, COORDINATING AMENDMENTS AND COMING INTO FORCE
Marginal note:ITAB employees
143. (1) Persons who are employed by the Indian Taxation Advisory Board at the time that the First Nations Tax Commission is established shall be offered employment with the Commission, at the same salary and with equivalent terms and conditions of employment.
Marginal note:Interim rules of procedure
(2) Until new rules are established by the First Nations Tax Commission, the Commission shall conduct itself in accordance with the rules of procedure established by the Indian Taxation Advisory Board.
Marginal note:Continuation of directors
144. Persons who are directors of the First Nations Finance Authority Inc., a corporation incorporated under the Canada Business Corporations Act, on the day on which section 58 comes into force shall continue as directors of the First Nations Finance Authority until new directors are elected.
Marginal note:Continuation of existing by-laws
145. (1) By-laws made by a first nation under paragraph 83(1)(a), or any of paragraphs 83(1)(d) to (g), of the Indian Act that are in force on the day on which the name of the first nation is added to the schedule are deemed to be laws made under section 5 or 9, as the case may be, to the extent that they are not inconsistent with section 5 or 9, and remain in force until they are repealed or replaced.
Marginal note:Amendment of existing by-laws
(2) For greater certainty, subsections 5(2) to (7) apply to amendments of by-laws referred to in subsection (1).
- Date modified: