Department of Social Development Act
S.C. 2005, c. 35
Assented to 2005-07-20
An Act to establish the Department of Social Development and to amend and repeal certain related Acts
This enactment establishes the Department of Social Development over which presides the Minister of Social Development. This enactment also sets out the Minister’s powers, duties and functions, as well as the rules applicable to the protection and the making available of personal information obtained under departmental programs, other than those governed by similar codes found in the Canada Pension Plan and the Old Age Security Act.
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:
Marginal note:Short title
Definition of “Minister”
2. In this Act, “Minister” means the Minister of Social Development.
DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT
Marginal note:Department established
3. (1) There is hereby established a department of the Government of Canada called the Department of Social Development over which the Minister of Social Development, appointed by commission under the Great Seal, shall preside.
Marginal note:Social Development Canada
(2) The expressions “Social Development Canada” and “Développement social Canada” in any document issued or executed in relation to the powers, duties and functions conferred on the Minister by this or any other Act are deemed to be references to the “Department of Social Development” and the “ministère du Développement social”, respectively.
(3) The Minister holds office during pleasure and has the management and direction of the Department.
Marginal note:Deputy Minister
4. (1) The Governor in Council may appoint an officer called the Deputy Minister of Social Development to hold office during pleasure and to be the deputy head of the Department.
Marginal note:Associate Deputy Ministers
(2) The Governor in Council may appoint one or more Associate Deputy Ministers of Social Development to hold office during pleasure and each shall have the rank and status of a deputy head of a department and exercise, under the Deputy Minister of Social Development, the powers and perform the duties and functions as deputies of the Minister and otherwise that the Minister may specify.
Powers, Duties and Functions of the Minister
Marginal note:Powers, duties and functions of the Minister
5. (1) The powers, duties and functions of the Minister extend to and include all matters over which Parliament has jurisdiction relating to the social development of Canada and which are not by law assigned to any other Minister, department, board or agency of the Government of Canada.
Marginal note:Exercise of powers
(2) The Minister shall exercise the powers and perform the duties and functions assigned by subsection (1) with a view to promoting social well-being and income security.
Marginal note:Additional powers
6. In exercising the powers and performing the duties or functions assigned to the Minister under this or any other Act, the Minister may
(a) subject to the Statistics Act, collect, analyse, interpret, publish and distribute information relating to social development; and
(b) cooperate with provincial authorities with a view to coordinating efforts for social development.
- Date modified: