Marginal note:Recommendation of Commissioner
29. It is not lawful for the Legislative Assembly to adopt or pass any vote, resolution, address or bill for the appropriation of any part of the public revenue, or of any tax, for any purpose that has not been first recommended to the Legislative Assembly by message of the Commissioner, in the session in which the vote, resolution, address or bill is proposed.
Marginal note:Appropriation of moneys granted by Parliament
30. When a sum of money is granted to Her Majesty in right of Canada by Parliament to defray expenses for a specified public service in Yukon, the power of appropriation by the Legislature over that sum is subject to the specified purpose for which it is granted.
Yukon Public Accounts
Marginal note:Fiscal year
31. The Yukon Government’s fiscal year is the period beginning on April 1 in one year and ending on March 31 in the next year.
Marginal note:Submission of Yukon Public Accounts to Legislative Assembly
32. The Commissioner, with the consent of the Executive Council, shall, on or before such day of the fiscal year as the Legislative Assembly may fix, lay before the Legislative Assembly a report called the Yukon Public Accounts for the preceding fiscal year and the Legislative Assembly shall consider the report.
Marginal note:Form and contents
33. The Yukon Public Accounts shall be prepared in any form that the Commissioner, with the consent of the Executive Council, directs. They shall be prepared in accordance with accounting principles recommended for the public sector by the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants or its successor and shall include
(a) consolidated financial statements for the Yukon Government that present
(i) the financial position as at the end of the fiscal year,
(ii) the accumulated surplus or deficit as at the end of the fiscal year,
(iii) the results of its operations for the fiscal year, and
(iv) the changes in the financial position for the fiscal year;
(b) the opinion of the Auditor General of Canada referred to in subsection 34(1); and
(c) any other information or statements that are required in support of the consolidated financial statements by or under any law of the Legislature.
Marginal note:Annual audit
34. (1) The Auditor General of Canada shall audit the accounts, including those related to the Yukon Consolidated Revenue Fund, and financial transactions of the Yukon Government in each fiscal year in accordance with auditing standards recommended by the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants or its successor and shall express his or her opinion as to whether
(a) the consolidated financial statements present fairly, in all material respects and in accordance with accounting principles recommended for the public sector by that Institute or its successor, the financial position of the Yukon Government as at the end of the fiscal year and the results of its operations in, and changes in its financial position for, the fiscal year; and
(b) the transactions of the Yukon Government that have come to the notice of the Auditor General in the course of the audit are within the powers of the Yukon Government under this or any other Act.
(2) The Auditor General shall report to the Legislative Assembly any matter falling within the scope of the audit that, in his or her opinion, should be reported to the Assembly.
- Date modified: