257. (1) Subsections 20(1) and (2) of the Act are repealed.
(2) Subsection 20(4) of the Act is repealed.
258. Subsection 21(2) of the Act is repealed.
Marginal note:1994, c. 35
Yukon First Nations Self-Government Act
260. (1) The first paragraph of the preamble to the Act is replaced by the following:
WHEREAS representatives of Her Majesty the Queen in right of Canada, the Government of the Yukon Territory and the Council for Yukon Indians signed the Umbrella Final Agreement on May 29, 1993, the provisions of which are intended to be incorporated into final agreements for the settlement of land claims of first nations in Yukon;
(2) The third paragraph of the preamble to the English version of the Act is replaced by the following:
WHEREAS those final agreements provide that Her Majesty and the Government of Yukon are to enter into negotiations with those first nations for self-government agreements appropriate to the circumstances of each of them and in accordance with the Constitution of Canada;
(3) The fifth paragraph of the preamble to the English version of the Act is replaced by the following:
WHEREAS other first nations of Yukon may conclude self-government agreements;
261. The definition “Yukon Government” in section 2 of the Act is replaced by the following:
« gouvernement du Yukon »
“Yukon Government” means the Commissioner of Yukon acting with the consent of the Executive Council of Yukon.
262. Paragraph 11(1)(b) of the Act is replaced by the following:
(b) the power to enact laws applicable in Yukon in relation to the matters enumerated in Part II of Schedule III; and
263. Subsection 12(2) of the English version of the Act is replaced by the following:
Marginal note:Agreements with local governments
(2) Where a first nation’s self-government agreement so provides, the Yukon Government or a municipal corporation in Yukon may agree to the exercise by the first nation of any of the powers referred to in subsection (1), for which that Government or corporation has responsibility, in respect of portions of settlement land identified in the agreement.
- Date modified: