POWERS, DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS OF THE COMMISSIONER
Marginal note:Powers, duties and functions of the Commissioner
5. (1) The Commissioner has the powers, duties and functions assigned to the Commissioner by this Act and by the Acts listed in Schedule 1 and shall examine and inquire into, and report to the Minister from time to time on, all matters connected with the administration of this Act and of the consumer provisions of those other Acts.
Marginal note:Personal information
(2) The Commissioner may collect any personal information that he or she considers necessary in furtherance of the object described in paragraph 3(2)(a).
Marginal note:Review re voluntary codes of conduct
(3) The Commissioner, if a financial institution has adopted a voluntary code of conduct referred to in paragraph 3(2)(c) or made a commitment designed to protect the interests of its customers, may make or cause to be made any review that he or she considers necessary to monitor compliance with the code or the commitment, as the case may be.
Marginal note:Respect for other monitors
(4) When acting under subsection (3), the Commissioner shall have due regard for the role of any department, agency or agent corporation of the Government of Canada or of a province or any organization that has a role in monitoring compliance by financial institutions with voluntary codes of conduct or commitments.
Marginal note:Consumer awareness
(5) The Commissioner may carry on any activity that he or she considers necessary in furtherance of an object described in paragraph 3(2)(d) or (e).
Marginal note:Duties and functions generally
6. (1) The Commissioner shall engage exclusively in the duties and functions of the Commissioner under section 5 and as deputy head of the Agency.
Marginal note:Other duties
(2) Despite subsection (1), the Commissioner may hold any other office under Her Majesty or perform any other duties for Her Majesty, but not for reward.
7. The Agency, in order to carry out its objects, may enter into an agreement or arrangement with a department or agency of the Government of Canada or of a province or with any other person or body in the name of Her Majesty in right of Canada or in its own name. An agreement or arrangement with a department or agency of a province must be made with the approval of the Governor in Council.
Marginal note:Appointment of Deputy Commissioner
8. The Commissioner may appoint one or more officers each to be called a Deputy Commissioner of the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada who shall act under the instructions of the Commissioner.
EXERCISE OF POWERS, DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS
Marginal note:Exercise by personnel
9. Except as otherwise provided by the Commissioner and subject to any terms and conditions that may be specified by the Commissioner, a person who is an officer or employee of the Agency may exercise any of the powers and perform any of the duties and functions of the Commissioner under this Act if the person is appointed to serve in the Agency in a capacity appropriate to the exercise of the power or performance of the duty or function.
- Date modified: