Transfers of Vessels or Shares in Vessels
73. If the ownership of a Canadian vessel or a share in one changes and the vessel is still required or entitled to be registered under this Part,
(a) the owner must provide the Chief Registrar with the evidence, including declarations, that the Chief Registrar considers necessary to establish that the vessel is required or entitled to be so registered; and
(b) the Chief Registrar must amend the Register and the vessel’s certificate of registry to reflect the change.
Marginal note:Order for sale on acquisition by an unqualified person
74. If an unqualified person acquires a Canadian vessel, other than a vessel described in paragraph 47(b) (a vessel owned by a foreign corporation), a vessel described in paragraph 47(c) (a vessel subject to a financing agreement) or a vessel described in section 48 (a bare-boat chartered vessel), or a share in one, any interested person may apply to the Federal Court, or any court of competent jurisdiction whose rules provide for in rem procedure in respect of vessels, for an order that the vessel or share, as the case may be, be sold to a qualified person.
Marginal note:Power of court to prohibit transfer
75. On the application of an interested person, the Federal Court, or any court of competent jurisdiction whose rules provide for in rem procedure in respect of vessels, may make an order prohibiting any dealing with a Canadian vessel or a share in one for a specified period.
Marginal note:Copies of entries
76. A person may examine or obtain copies of any entries in the Register with respect to a vessel.
77. The Governor in Council may, on the recommendation of the Minister, make regulations for carrying out the purposes and provisions of this Part, including regulations
(a) respecting the registration, listing and recording of vessels;
(b) respecting the issuance and renewal of certificates of registry;
(c) respecting the suspension and cancellation of the registration or listing of a Canadian vessel;
(d) respecting the naming and marking of vessels;
(e) respecting the port of registration;
(f) respecting the form and manner of notifying the Chief Registrar under section 58;
(g) respecting the evidence that owners of vessels previously registered in a foreign state must provide to prove that the vessels are no longer registered in the foreign state;
(h) respecting the calculation of the tonnage of vessels and the issuance of certificates of tonnage; and
(i) prescribing anything that may be prescribed under this Part.
Offences and Punishment
Marginal note:Contravention of Act or regulations
78. (1) Every person commits an offence who contravenes
(a) subsection 57(4) (wilfully defacing, altering, concealing or removing markings); or
(b) a provision of the regulations made under paragraph 77(h).
(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1) is liable on summary conviction to a fine of not more than $100,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than one year, or to both.
- Date modified: