Marginal note:Contravention of Act
39. (1) Every person commits an offence who contravenes
(a) subsection 17(2) (improper possession of a Canadian maritime document); or
(b) subsection 28(7) (inform Chair without delay).
(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1) is liable on summary conviction to a fine of not more than $100,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than one year, or to both.
Marginal note:Contravention of Act or regulations
40. (1) Every person who, or vessel that, contravenes any of the following commits an offence:
(a) subsection 16(3) (cheating on an exam);
(b) section 18 (failure to produce Canadian maritime document);
(c) subsection 20(7) (failure to return suspended or cancelled Canadian maritime document); and
(d) a provision of the regulations made under paragraph 35(1)(e) or (3)(b).
(2) Every person who, or vessel that, commits an offence under subsection (1) is liable on summary conviction to a fine of not more than $10,000.
REGISTRATION, LISTING AND RECORDING
Definition of “Minister”
41. In this Part, “Minister” means the Minister of Transport.
Canadian Register of Vessels and Registrars
Marginal note:Appointment of Chief Registrar
Marginal note:Duties and powers of Chief Registrar
43. (1) The Chief Registrar is responsible for establishing and maintaining a register to be known as the Canadian Register of Vessels. The Chief Registrar is to divide the Register into parts, including a small vessel register, for the classes of vessels that the Chief Registrar specifies.
(2) The Register is to contain records of the information and documents specified by the Chief Registrar in respect of a Canadian vessel, including its description, its official number, the name and address of its owner and, except in the case of a vessel registered in the small vessel register, details of all mortgages registered in respect of it.
44. (1) The Chief Registrar may appoint the registrars that the Chief Registrar considers necessary.
Marginal note:Duties of registrars
(2) A registrar is to perform the duties and fulfil the responsibilities that the Chief Registrar assigns to the registrar.
- Date modified: